Yumekui Merry

Be free, be the otaku that you are.
Pictor

Yumekui Merry

Post by Pictor »

Any of you guys know of this?

It's pretty much my favorite ongoing manga right now. You can easily tell why.

The latest chapter (as of this post)... Ch. 46 seems... rather familiar.
AYC

Re: Yumekui Merry

Post by AYC »

Yumekui Merry is awesome.

I'm really fond of the clean-looking art style and John Doe, lol.

And of course, the fact that Lanette could totally cosplay Merry without too much effort also helps.
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

Every character is my favourite character in this manga.

There's no character I don't like. Although John Doe and Isana's dad gives everyone else a run for their money. Liking Merry and Yumeji is a given, so it's not really fair to count them.

The anime doesn't exist, but if it did, and it were animated by JC Staff, one of the only things they WOULD do right is cast Jouji Nakata as John.

I'm a gigantic fanboy of the author/artist, Ushiki Yoshitaka. He did the Advent Cirno doujin pieces too, as well as a whole bunch of other stuff. His art has evolved magnificently since then. I'm sure jealous of his style, each panel is so dynamic and fluid; it's like you're watching an anime somehow.

Also the way he draws hands is friggin delicious.
Sentrovasi

Post by Sentrovasi »

I can definitely see why you'd like it XD I mean, parts of it are so ridiculously shounen you just can't help but smile. Nothing really amazing in terms of story and stuff (I mean, who didn't see the plot twists telegraphed a mile away XD) but the art is great, and the execution is very pleasant.

Also, I've been wondering, do other people also just glance and skip over the action scenes? I always feel a bit guilty but in any panel where there's just so much motion and clutter, I just interpret it as more meaningless bashing and move on :S
AYC

Post by AYC »

The anime doesn't exist, but if it did, I would only be able to watch it until episode four and never be able to get back into it. It would also have an amazing opening theme that I would play several times in one hour once the full version comes out.

I also re-read the latest chapter. I have to say, it certainly gave me a crawling sensation with... how familiar it was. Huh. Did not notice that the first time I read it.
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

Sentrovasi wrote:I can definitely see why you'd like it XD I mean, parts of it are so ridiculously shounen you just can't help but smile. Nothing really amazing in terms of story and stuff (I mean, who didn't see the plot twists telegraphed a mile away XD) but the art is great, and the execution is very pleasant.

Also, I've been wondering, do other people also just glance and skip over the action scenes? I always feel a bit guilty but in any panel where there's just so much motion and clutter, I just interpret it as more meaningless bashing and move on :S
Action sequences are one of the highlights, at least in my opinion. Of course, to each his own. I'm just a sucker for eyecandy. As someone who draws, I get the chance to peek at how other artists illustrate various actions and poses (and rip them off). The way the author/artist handles shadows and speedlines is simply splendid. Yumekui Merry also isn't a very "difficult" manga to read in terms of action. When I say "it feels like you're watching an anime", I mean that each panel is presented in a way that flows from the previous one, so you can almost picture the in-betweens in your mind's eye. Even if I just gloss over the pages, it's still easy to tell what happened. Unlike... say... Bleach where you have huge two-page spreads of someone doing a single massive attack where half the page is white and the other is black... and in the end you still have no clue what just happened.

A good example, and also a page that I can't help but go back to over and over is the character Yui's CHEMICAL MAGICAL COOKING. You can clearly imagine her melodramatic spinning as fluffy dream bubbles zoom by.

Like you said, this manga doesn't have much in the way of deep or philosophical plot. It's more something you read when you want to sit back and enjoy some mindless fun. Kinda like TTGL. It's generic, but generic done right.
AYC wrote:The anime doesn't exist, but if it did, I would only be able to watch it until episode four and never be able to get back into it. It would also have an amazing opening theme that I would play several times in one hour once the full version comes out.

I also re-read the latest chapter. I have to say, it certainly gave me a crawling sensation with... how familiar it was. Huh. Did not notice that the first time I read it.
The OP is done by IOSYS! As in the same group responsible for "Marisa Stole the Precious Thing" and various other good stuff!
Sentrovasi

Post by Sentrovasi »

Oh, some of them were definitely good. Things like the Chemical Magical Cooking were totally awesome and kinda reminded me of Lanette and Jacket in terms of hilarious ham. What I mean is that in the fight sequences sometimes it just becomes tedious to piece together who did what; maybe it's the black and white medium and the amount of cloak/claw/lines in some of them, I just can't be bothered to see if it's a knife or someone's cape stabbing into another person.
marcien

Post by marcien »

i'm at chapter 10 now. so far, takateru is reminding me a lot of joshua from twewy. i am both enthralled and cautious of him.

(fyi, i get that same sort of feeling from natsume in beelzebub.)
[img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1452/assignment23.jpg[/img]
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

CHAPTER 50 IS OUT.

FUCK YEAH.
AYC

Post by AYC »

I-is that chapter 51 I see?

OMG TWICE IN ONE WEEK?

WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

Apparently they have chapters up to 53. It's just that the translator has been swamped with other word, and they don't have a proper cleaner so they're taking volunteer work.