marcien

Lamentable Nights: Act 01 - "You're Waiting for a Train..."

Post by marcien »

Date: 1 Jun, Tuesday
Time: Early morning
Weather: Light drizzles
PC: Oriole
================

Ghosts are not suppose to be able to feel out of breath, but that was how Oriole feels at the moment.

Just WHAT ON EARTH was THAT THING??!

She had been traveling towards the town, late at night, through a quiet tunnel. Humming a tune as she went, this stray had seemed like she was all that moved and shone in the still darkness. As she floated on, she seemed to be approaching a light. No wait, the light is approaching her, on wheels and followed by a sound of rumbling and a trail of smoke.

WHAAAaaa--

It was solid. Or rather, it was ethereal. Oriole felt the oncoming force of the train when is was just metres away from her. She melted as quickly as she could into the ground below the tracks, the roaring wheels above barely missing her head.

And the rest of the night, Oriole spent her time flowing about underground looking for a way to the surface. No more taking tunnels please.

A man was setting up his make-shift barbeque pit at the riverbed under the bridge. He fanned gently at the fire-starters, increasingly annoyed at how the wet weather was making his job difficult. In about half-an-hour, the rest of the adults would be out of their homes making their way to work, and hopefully ten percent of them would buy his hotdogs for breakfast. He needs the fire to get started.

Beneath his barbeque pit, an out-of-breath stray emerged. Not that he could see her, of course. Little by little, as she formed and gathered herself above ground, the heat from her ethereal body caused the raindrops on the charcoal to evaporate.

Ah. The charcoals are turning red. The man and the stray heaved a sigh of relief. Safe, at last.
Last edited by marcien on Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 pm, edited 5 times in total.
[img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1452/assignment23.jpg[/img]
marcien

Re: Lamentable Nights: The RP

Post by marcien »

Date: Sometime in spring, April
Time: Late afternoon
Location: Garden of Grace, a columbarium one-and-a-half day's drive away in the next state
PC: Redmist
================

A man stood in front of a shelf of niches. In one of his gloved hand held five stalks of flowers and the other a round of sticky tape. He fixed two rosemarys, a white lily and a mentha individually on four plaques, and the last flower, a yellow rose, he placed on the floor. He then took a step back, bowed, and left, greeting the old caretaker on his way to the car.

The caretaker gave a nod of recognition and smiled. This young man had been coming here once a year, like this, for the past 9 years.

Ten years ago, a newspaper article about a hijack that killed 14 people was published on the front page of most of the nation's newspapers. On the state's paper, an additional article was written:
Young man (19) loses last of family. Both his father and mother were killed in the hijack 3 weeks ago. Two years prior, his younger brother (then 15) had committed suicide. A week after the loss of his parents, his disabled elder sister (24) passed away in hospital yesterday.
Naturally, the story of the young man's string of unfortunate incidents which left him alone in this life had drawn much media attention and gained him much public sympathy and condolences. These must have been too much to bear for his young self, for he had moved away since then.

To a small town, in a different state, by the sea. Pebbleton.
Sentrovasi

Post by Sentrovasi »

Date: May the 19th, Wednesday
Time: 1900
Weather: Cloudy
PC: Randall Kayne

If Randall Kayne had to find a single word to describe his schedule, it would be "perfect". Not that that was how most others saw it: other adjectives ranged from "cluttered" to "non-existent". But he preferred it like that. Living in an apartment house, he'd come to notice the other tenants and learnt their (relatively) regular hours. His own, on the other hand, remained strictly ad hoc, since he could rarely be sure when he'd next find himself a job. For the past month, though, he had managed to procure a job as a security guard at the Herston Museum: a job that would have seemed completely devoid of worth to him had he not the opportunity to patrol and explore its depths, as well as those of the adjoining library. As a result, he found himself having the unenviable task of slipping away to work just as most people and the good sun itself were finding themselves a resting place at home.

He stretched as he opened the door to his room, noting the doors of the four other rooms on this floor as he did, as well as the soft padding of the landlady's feet in her quarters on the third storey.

His schedule meant that he had very little time to interact with the other people in the house, though of course very few of them had the time for him either. In his two years staying at 18 Reinfield Road, he'd seen many of them come and go, most of them boarders or backpackers who would leave with the next train or semester. As the single pseudo-permanent tenant in residence, he had at least earned himself a spare key to the house, although his irregular flow of income often left his harried landlady more than a little put out. At the moment he knew of three other tenants: a pair of twin sisters in attendance at MVD and, more recently, one other man, who had introduced himself as a sailor aboard one of the more prestigious mercantile vessels currently in port. More than that he didn't know - he made a mental note to find some time to make a proper introduction in the future; the young landlady wasn't really a very outspoken person, and he liked to help her lay the ground rules.

Now wasn't the time, though: entering the common room on the first floor, he noted the absence of the girls, while the sailor had been out since the afternoon - he hoped the well-built man wouldn't come back drunk, since that was on the rules too. As he crossed the large room to the door on the other side, he made another mental note to get the groceries on his way back, if only to appease the landlady.

For now, he had a job to get to.
Last edited by Sentrovasi on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

Time: Early Morning
PC: Jacket

================

*GONG....!*

*GONG....!*

*GONG....!*

The lively sound of the fountain clock's ringing reaches my ears. As I sat by the metal railings, my eyes solemnly drift across the ocean.

So much water... I don't think I've ever seen such a vast, open space before. Or perhaps I have while I lived, who knows? Man, I can't even see the other side, it's simply endless! I wonder what's there... on the other side of the ocean?

While I ponder in silence, the morning sun slowly begins to climb, barely visible behind the gathering clouds. The soft light announced the arrival of a new morning. Today would be... the seventh day then? Yes, it's been seven days since I arrived in this quaint little town. It didn't take long for me to explore it all, of course I can only do it by night, thanks to my annoying body.

It seems I've already made a bit of a name for myself, rumors sure spread quickly... though I guess it's natural for a small place like this. The Phantom Jacket is what they're calling me; from what I've picked up, I've become an urban legend of sorts. Hahaha, can't say I'm hating a little bit of fame, but I should probably start watching myself while moving around. Wouldn't want to cause too much of a disturbance.

...Speaking of disturbance, I also haven't seen hair nor hide of that stupid girl for a week. This has to be some kind of record! Could I have finally found my paradise here?

Hmmm, a little town by the sea, huh? Not bad, I certainly could get used to it. Everyone enjoys a bit of gossip I suppose, but the people here aren't nearly as noisy as in the big cities. Good lord... to think I've been chased so much that I'm becoming an expert on social variance!

I heave a helpless sigh and lean back to stretch myself.

...Wait, this is just a railing isn't it? OH SHI-

*THUNK*

Ah... Tch, that hurt. Another downside to a tangible body: things can actually hurt you. I instinctively whirl my head around to see if anyone saw my embarrassing fall. Well, of course there's nobody here. But anyway, it's getting brighter by the second. I'd better get my sorry ass out of here before people do start showing up.

In the distance, thunder begins to roll. Looks like it'll be a rainy morning. Sucks to be those food vending guys down by the river!

Rubbing my still-sore head, I saunter off. Perhaps I'll hide out in the lighthouse again today, nobody goes there during the day. If anyone shows up, I can just hop on the roof again.

... Ow... I wonder how much Ether this bruise is costing me...?
SavviG

Post by SavviG »

Time: Early morning
PC: Graciel
==========

Drifting between worlds, light is starting to come more clearer through the eyelids.
Yawn, scratch, quiver and shiver. Graciel opens his eyes slowly and the pupils slowly focus on what's in the distant, the library. Then, a sound of the chime from the fountain rings.

'Ah, sleeping in the tree sure is bitter and cold'. Graciel, stood on all fours, began to stretch.
~
There was a sudden thud sound coming from the fountain, like lightning, I rushed to the other end of the tree, jumping and leaping branch to branch. It was a person. 'Looks like he slipped and fell on his bottom, wonder what he was doing, ah that's right, he was sleeping... Hee hee, but I saw you~'.

I watched him hurrying off while a sound of thunder roared in the distance.
'Ah, I think I'll hop to the school for cover. Maybe they'll feed me that juicy salmon again, it's a Tuesday afterall'.

Hopping down the branches, must be careful because branches don't grow down the - THUD! O_O! And land on all fours ... no, landed in the bush with the back facing the ground.
Twitter SavviMaple
Sentrovasi

Post by Sentrovasi »

Date: May the 22nd, Saturday
Time: 0630
Weather: Clear
PC: Randall Kayne

"I wonder..."

Randall leaned back in the comfortable lounge chair, looking up at the ceiling as he pondered the information displayed on the computer in front of him. None of this, of course, was in the job description, but one of the perks of being a night guard was there usually wasn't anyone to care about what you were doing as long as everything stayed in its place. It wasn't like he wasn't still guarding it.

As he looked up at the ceiling, his gaze shifted unbidden to the strange energies he could still see around him: he had decided to call it "Ether": of the different "mystical energies" he'd managed to search up for online, it seemed the most likely fit, at least in terms of how it looked, and what it could do.

Besides, there was the writing on one of the more ancient-looking artifacts in the museum archives to account for: while the inscription on it was incoherent and illegible, the word "Ether" had jumped out at him, almost something like serendipity. The stone device didn't seem to have any other real purpose, though; something that gave him pause before he put too much faith in the existence of such a thing.

Not that the few online corroborations to its existence had seemed very sane, either. The authors of the few articles on the subject of "Ether", even the more believable ones, had also mentioned crazy "apparitions" that fed on this energy and would apparently devour anyone who saw them. It was just as well, he thought, that this version didn't play out quite the way they had described.

"Alright, it's time to practice..."

Getting out of the chair, Randall bounced a few times on the spot, stretching his limbs as though warming up for some physical activity. Concentrating, he let his gaze focus again on the wispy-looking streams of Ether which hung in the air about him. Had he not discovered his own ability... he might not have believed himself sane, either.

Concentrate.

Closing his eyes to the world, he felt the complex stream of the same energy running through him, as he knew it ran through every living thing in the world around him: he had occasion to notice such things in his jaunt about town, although not one other person seemed aware of this curious anomaly. A tangled mess of energies, this was most similar to the "karmic aura" he had read about in his quest to learn more about Ether. In a way, it behaved the same as well. Slowly but surely, he could feel the knots in the energy inside him begin to loosen; its cycle through his body seemed smoother, beckoning him to will it as he would.

And he did.

His eyes opened again with a sudden clarity as the energy focused in his mind sharpened his thoughts and allowed him to more clearly view the world around him. Sweeping a hand through the Ether around him, he willed it to gather in his palms. Almost immediately he felt a soft shuddering, maintained by his own deep concentration... but then there was nothing. The wisps of Ether simply continued undulating where they were, heedless to the call he was sure he had placed.

Once more, then...

His mind still clear of the impatience that might have overcome him without his small concentration charm, he reached out to the Ether again, calling it to him: sweeping his hand across them and willing them to coalesce. He could feel it now; a slight tugging as though it was making its gravity felt; as though it was - yes - slowly making its way towards him, coalescing in a bright ball of -

A bright flash of light blinded him, startling him as he felt his concentration break. It was only after a moment (and after his eyes had readjusted to the lighting) that he realized it was the library's automatic lights that had turned on, marking the end of his shift and an hour's reverie. It was hard to believe that his second, barely-successful attempt had taken half an hour on its own.

Shaking his head with a slight smile on his lips, he turned to the computer to erase any evidence of his using it: back to reality now, it was time to go home.
Last edited by Sentrovasi on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AYC

Post by AYC »

Date: June 1, Tuesday
Time: Early Morning
PC: M
================

The lights inside the mall have yet to come on, but then again, there's almost no one there yet.

M stares at the darkening sky.

Man, what a pain. It looks like it's going to rain.

He might be a Stray, but the sight of rain unnerves him. Maybe it's the sensation of water passing through him, or the sensation of anything passing through him. He remembers feeling similarly when he had passed partially through a human on a crowded street - just a brief brush, and the human couldn't even see him - but for some reason, he feels worse when there's rain.

It probably has something to do with his life as a human. Or else...

It was raining on the day he was "born" too. He'd heard something before on one of the TVs -

That rain washes away sin. Maybe he had been a sinful human?

Pfft. He had woken up in an abandoned amusement park of all places, probably not. More likely than not, he had been some victim of a freak accident or something.

A part of him doubts that though.

He pushes his internal arguments away and watches a woman, lightly drenched from the thickening mist outside and light drizzle, enter the mall and head towards the staircase - a brief flash of color underneath her coat tells him that she's an employee of the Rosen Queen Company. Must be a manager or something, to be here so early.

M takes a moment to briefly muse the time.

Unfortunately, there aren't any shadows he can use to tell the time, though he could make some. There's no sun anyway though, as it's pretty much close to storming outside by now - that's definitely thunder he hears. If he had actual bones, they'd be rattling under his ether skin and flesh, however that works.

... That's probably something to not think about.

Really.

He even adds it to his mental list of "Things I'm Perfectly Fine Not Knowing".
AYC

Post by AYC »

Time: 7:00 am
Weather: Rain
PC: Mirto
================

She goes over her schedule one more time as the sound of thunder hits her room for the third time.

The sound doesn't irk her as much as it does the aspect of creating a new schedule in a few days. Mirto glances at the hasty black crosses on her calender. In three days, school will be dismissed until the new year in the fall. In three days, summer break will begin.

Which means the start of having no classes and yet no free time. Working her ass off all summer!

She gives the heavy dictionaries on her shelf a wistful look - brand new, the order had just been delivered yesterday - and it pains her that she can't even crack one open and read to her heart's content for just one day.

It makes her want to cry.

Her uncle's voice breaks her out of her anguished musings - he's humming some sort of song, but it's so very off-key. Nonetheless, Mirto takes it as her cue to get out there and have some breakfast instead of wallowing in self-induced misery.

A quick loop of her grey necktie and a deep breath later, she's standing in the entrance of the dining room with the most puzzled, awe-struck expression on her face.

"Your hairstyle is lacking sophistication" is the first thing that she blurts out, said so flatly and matter-of-factly that it overshadows the faint wince she makes when her aunt turns to smile at her. With bouncing, lightly curled pigtails.

Pigtails. On a grown, twenty-something year old woman.

So wrong on so many different levels.

Both of her guardians prove to be unaffected by her remark. Her aunt merely laughs and gives her a "Good Morning" before turning back to her fruit-filled waffle, and her uncle slides her a plate with a (quite realistically) band-aid shaped pancake.

Mirto stares.

Her forehead starts to ache a bit with memories of a splittingly sharp pain. She even covered it as well as she could with her bangs, dammit. Why aren't they letting her live the incident down?

A hand reaches up to touch the latex and gauze strip on her forehead. Yep, still there, and still in pain. It's been a few weeks already; why hasn't the bloody bruise healed yet?

She all but swallows her pancake whole and gulps down her glass of orange juice in irritation. Those two adults, she seethes to herself. Teaming up like this - two against one is hardly fair at all.

At all.

The next second though, something brushes against her leg and Mirto nearly jumps out of her skin as a small dog barks cheerfully at heels with a short, sharp woof. Her aunt and uncle crack sickening wide grins.

She's pretty sure she's just had a coronary. Three vs. one, really? Overkill.

It takes her all her pride and self-control not to pass out with only forty minutes left until the start of school.

Needless to say, Mirto promptly makes her escape.
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

Time: Mid Morning
Weather: Raining
PC: Jacket

================

But just to be sure, I tried again. The door clacked fruitlessly on its rusted hinges, refusing to open.

You've gotta be kidding me. Who the hell locks up a lighthouse at night? What would even be the point?! It's not like anyone's gonna try to break in!

...Oh. Right.

I let out a groan of frustration and sat down against the wall. The small ledge above the doorway did little to shield me from the rain. I stared nonchalantly up at the darkened sky. Brief flashes of light bloomed from behind the menacing clouds, and periodically the wind kicks up fiercely from the ocean.

What a depressing morning. It's been raining ever since I left the park, and it doesn't look like it's going to stop anytime soon. This kind of weather just drains all the life out of you. Figuratively speaking, of course.

By now, half the town would be up and about.

I guess it's a good thing this place is so out of the way; nobody ever comes here, even during the day. The white-collar men and women up by the business district would be tumbling into the offices with soaked suits and blouses. Those shady vendors down by the bridge are probably threatening to kill themselves. And the students? Oh man, are they gonna have one hell of a time getting the school. Especially those pretty private-school girls in their prim-and-proper uniforms.

Hee hee... thinking about people besides me suffering... makes me feel a tiny bit better I guess.

The lighthouse keeper probably noticed someone (namely, yours truly) parading around uninvited at night. With the lighthouse locked up as it is, I'm down another place to lay low during the bustling daytime. In terms of a hideout, there's not many options for me in this tiny town... and I'm not exactly a big fan of the forest.

*Sigh*

But, beggars can't be choosers. I suppose that's my best bet for now. As I am, I can't possibly risk being seen, so traveling across town isn't an option.

Darn. Having a physical body sucks. What's the point of being a ghost when you can't even turn invisible and junk?

Steeling myself against the cold, wet weather, I propped myself up lazily.

Ah, crap, I'm completely drenched. This is all seawater isn't it? I wonder if I'm gonna rust...?

I ungracefully tried to pat the rainwater out of my hair.

Wait--- hair?

No way... you've gotta be freakin kidding me!

Like an idiot, I fumbled about, patting my body all over, and quadruple checked my jacket pockets.

"No... no, no, no, no. This can't be happening!"

Ugh! Where'd it go?! I had it on me just a while ag--

The park.

Shit. It must have fell off when I tumbled off the railings.

"Dammit. Dammit, dammit, dammit!"

I muttered an endless stream of curses as I dash off into the rain as fast as I could, splicing raindrops to bits in my wake. Change of plans; looks like I've gotta make a detour to the park now. If I don't hurry, I'll definitely be spotted, even in this crappy weather.

Gotta hustle... and find my hat!!
marcien

Post by marcien »

Time: Mid morning
PC: Oriole
Other PCs: Jacket(?)
================

The raindrops which fell violently through the stray's ether body jolted her back awake.

It's raining now??!

Oriole took a look around. Some vendors have doggedly set up umbrellas and tents to shelter against the rain, while other have given up and packed up.

I should be moving off too... Need to find a better place to sleep...

The drowsy stray sluggishly wiggled her way down the riverbank, towards the sea. She didn't know how long it took, or when she drifted back to sleep, but something rudely woke her up, once again.

Ouch. I am on the ground. I am halfway in the ground. Why.

She looked over at the offending object near her feet. A soft helmet? A hat? Well, it was something like that. She bent down beside it and picked it up.

I can pick it up. I can touch it.
AYC

Post by AYC »

Time: 9:15 am
================

Even though it's been roughly a hour since her arrival at school, Mirto's still pretty much soaked to the bone. Or at the very least, her hair is still dripping water onto her paper - her calculus notes, of all things - and she's using up all her energy to carefully maneuver the drops away from her squiggly black markings. Her hooded jacket, coupled with her umbrella, had proven to be a fairly adequate protection against the rain outside... just not quite enough against large puddles.

Or rather, shiny black cars that drove through said puddles. A line of shiny, waxed black cars.

Hopefully that would the first and last time she would ever see puddles turn into tidal waves - actual, five to six feet tall walls of water, oh damn. Honestly it had been like a one minute typhoon, and if anything, it had been absolutely insane.

And she had been the only victim. Ugh.

A pair of girls across the street had seen the whole thing, though - and had laughed daintily behind their hands. Bright red skirts and a golden crest on their chests - MVD students, really. Personally this public and private school rivalry never made any sense to her; school was made as a place to learn, not for any of this bloody school spirit stuff.

Maybe there's some sort of taboo in ridiculing the supposedly "friendly" school hostilities, but both girls had been thoroughly offended when she had given them the most flat and disinterested expression she could possibly afford to. Surely saying "I don't care" isn't worse than saying "I hate you"?

If that's the case, then something is seriously wrong with the teenagers in this town.

Mirto stops her musings and glances down at her note paper, filled with neat little scribbles. Looks like her strategic paper sliding and head angling paid off. Phew.

The student behind her, on the other hand, stares blankly at his now wet and smudgy paper.
AYC

Post by AYC »

Time: 10:00 am
PC: M
================

M counts.

Five minutes.

The loud rumbling lasts five whole minutes. It's definitely not thunder anymore, especially since it's coming from underground.

He ponders.

An earthquake, perhaps? Did they even have earthquakes in Pebbleton?

Well, it's probably the trains running underneath, he concludes, crossing his arms in mock pride. Though, this is the first time he's ever actually felt it - usually he has to rely on his ears for this stuff, but for once, he can really feel his ethereal body vibrating from the velocity and force of the vehicles underneath.

Something's not right.

Perhaps he should take a look. Hopefully he's just overthinking things, he's done that plenty of times...

Three minutes later, he's standing on the subway platform, staring into dark, empty tunnels. There are only a few straggling workers left at this time, but other than that, there's nothing.

Just his imagination, after all, it seems.

Not.

He picks up the sound of wheels speeding towards the station; vaguely, he can see the faint pinpricks of light. It's strange, the intercom has yet to announce the coming of a new train, and the humans waiting hardly seem to pay the increasingly loud fwwosh any mind.

His hair is the only one getting blown around.

Oh. Oh shit.

In a rush of stupidity, he decides to hide behind a tall, bulky man waiting for a train on the other side of the platform. Way to be a man, M.

He chances a quick glance around the big man - perhaps his stupid impulse wasn't too bad in the end.

Because that is the most huge-ass Blight he's ever seen. Holy shit. What is that thing?

And - And is that a person he sees inside it?!

What the HELL is this?
SavviG

Post by SavviG »

Time: 9:05 am, morning
Weather: raining

♪♫♪♪♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♪♫♫

Taken quite a bit of time trying to get to the school.
While passing the library, Graciel had the urge to sneak in and read a manga. Sooner or later a person spotted him in the manga section, 'omg a cat reading manga!' - and so, I left the library.

Now, at the school, where students are bustling and chatting. I snucked in from the front gates through the front door. It was still raining and I managed to get to share a umbrella with a student. :3

I managed to get away from a group of students who couldn't stop stroking me non-stop. Soon, a couple of boys who seem nice, but they put me in a trash can.

What's more, it had a lid and they put something over it where my feline body won't be any help to get out. I gotta be in my human form. 'Well, I better wait till classes start.'
Twitter SavviMaple
KingNub

Post by KingNub »

Time: mid day
PC: Cederick

(ooc this is gonna be super shitty but i figured i might as well give soome insight as to my character is while i wait for the most rediculously long day ever toget around to the afternoon)

The lunchroom is bustling as classes come through getting their trays excitedly talking about what they've been doing today. The typical lunchroom in an elementary school.
Cederick sits at his table with friends from his class talking happily of looking forward to going to the cake shop with his mom like he does every tuesday.
The bell for this lunch period ends and Cederick quickly stuffs the rest of his cinnamon roll into his mouth as he runs to the garbage can on his way out o fthe cafeteria.
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

Time: 12:30, Mid Day
Weather: Light Rain
PC: Jacket, Oriole

================

(HIYAAAAAAAAAARHG!!!)

With a mighty mental yell, I leap from the roof of a building into the forest on the other side. As I flew through the air, I braced my arms in from of me defensively.

"Steel: ON!"

At the very last second, I unleash a burst of Ether. My body stiffens into a mass of steel as I cannonball into the trees.

*Critch. CRUNCH. Snap... snap... snap... THUD*

"Ugh... okay, steel off..."

Lying sprawled on the damp forest floor, I wait in complete silence for the next ten minutes or so. Leaves and branches I demolished on my way down continued to fall around me. I prayed with all my remaining soul that no townsfolk had witness my boisterous performance.

What a ridiculous stunt. No matter how incredibly fun that was, it was a stupid waste of Ether.

I had terribly underestimated the amount of people who'd be milling about. Even this kind of bad weather didn't stop the citizens of Pebbleton from going about their business. In order to avoid being seen, I had to take the long way around back to the park.

Damn... I must have had at least five close calls. If anyone had seen even so much as my shadow, it would have been all over. It's not exactly easy for someone like me to disappear at a moment's notice; I stick out like a sore thumb. Now... if I had my original body things would be different.

...Then again if I had my original body, I wouldn't even be making this trip.

Ten minutes. Alright, that should be enough.

I slowly prop myself off from the ground.

"GUH!!"

Suddenly a sharp pain jolts through my entire body. Both my mind and my vision go blank for a few split seconds.

Hate Malice Violence Hunger kill---

Shit...! Calm down. Gotta... focus!

Taking deep breaths, I steady myself using a nearby tree.

Focus… don’t lose yourself…!

With my entire body trembling, I manage to drag myself to my feet. Slowly, the confusion and haziness subsides. When I finally regained myself, I found that I was gripping the tree trunk so hard that I actually punctured it with my fingers. With some effort, I busted my hand free, taking some of the tree with it.

“Phew…”

I sighed aloud deeply. Dammit… another close call, but of a totally different nature.

Another one of these dizziness spells. And more importantly… those same dark thoughts. They grow stronger every time. With the pain comes a horrific wave of gruesome emotions, welling up from somewhere deep inside me. I don’t really understand what they’re about… but I know I can’t let them overwhelm me. That one though… was a bit more intense than usual.

I’m using up too much Ether. I can’t keep doing this. Gotta find my hat… and soon.

Taking one more deep breath, I silently made my way to the edge of the park. Brushing leaves aside, I peek out onto the concrete area. The rain was beginning to let up, but the park was still deserted. Everyone was probably at work or school. No time to come to the park yet, especially in this weather.

After awkwardly thrashing my way out of the forest, I crept as stealthily as I could towards the area with the railings. Not that I could do much in such an open space. Once I got there, I gave the place a good scan.

No hat. Not good. Looks like I'll actually have to give the place a good look. Maybe the wind blew it somewhere?

I dashed carefully around the park. If anyone saw me, I would have looked ridiculous. But you can never be too careful. Who knows what kind of weirdo could still be lurking around here, even at this hour?

"Uh... mister?"

A voice. I froze in my tracks, mid-dash.

Slowly spinning around, I saw a peculiar girl staring straight in my direction. No where to run, no time to hide. I've been spotted.

"What are you doing?"

"I... uh... um..."

She cocked her head curiously as I fumbled with my words, her lengthy golden hair dancing daintily as she did. It made me all the more speechless. How on earth was I gonna explain myself to this kid?

Hey... wait a sec.

What's that in her hands?
marcien

Post by marcien »

Time: Midday
PCs: Oriole, Jacket
================

A hat that I can touch.

Try as she could, Oriole could not think of a possible explanation for that. It was ethereal, and heavy too, due to how wet it is, yet not like the strange train she encountered in the tunnel.

For the moment, Oriole thought to dry the hat. Making it lighter meant that she who is carrying it will be using less strength and conserving some ether. As she tried to produce some heat, Oriole felt a chill.

No, it was not the weather. It cut through the air for only a moment, but Oriole recognised the feeling. It was not illusion or imagination. It felt much like being near to that Train. The moment she spun her body to the source of that chill feeling, it was gone.

The leaves of the forest trees moved every once a while, but there was no sign of anything bad.

A while later, a man, or someone who looked like one appeared. He was first, treading softly as if afraid of something, and then dashing about seemingly aimlessly. Oriole shuddered as she remembered the Train. Was he close to where the chill just now happened?

"Uh... Mister?" she called out to him.

The man stopped dead in his tracks. Now that Oriole could see him clearly, she realised that he was not a living thing. He was mostly black in colour apart from his yellow jacket. His face was like that of a mask, yet it's features was capable imitating the facial muscles of a person, enabling him to make the face of surprise looking at her now.

"What are you doing?"

"I... uh... um..." The man seemed to be at a lost for words, his mouth opened though no audible word came out. Oriole cocked her head in curiousity. Was there something wrong?
Last edited by marcien on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pictor

Post by Pictor »

Time: 12:32, Mid Day
Weather: Drizzle
PC: Jacket, Oriole

================

Shit. Now what. I've been seen. That's no good. Should I run away? Wait, that's not an option. Was there anyone around? It's just us. Hehe... maybe... I could "silence" her somehow.

Uh. No. That's retarded. Completely out of the question. Why did I even think of that?

But there's another reason I couldn't just scamper off this time. No, it wasn't the cute, inquisitive look she was giving me. It was the tussled rag tucked between her small fingers.

Alright, well I was dumb enough to be caught. No time to act like an idiot. Gotta man up. She looked pretty young, right? Sorta... like the little sister type character. Alright! Time to crank up that big-brotherly aura!

Patting off my jacket and and straightening my posture, I cleared my throat loudly.

"Ahem!"

And was immediately greeted by a short, tiny yelp.

"Kya!"

Quick as lightning, dash up to her face and a placed a finger over my own lips.

"SHHHHHH! Quiet down! I can't be seen by anyone else, okay?"

"Ah... s-sorry. It's just... you weren't speaking for awhile, so I got startled."

She replied with a such a low whisper that it made me feel kind of guilty. Heaving a sigh of relief, I stoop down to her height.

"Hey."

"Hm? What is it mister"

I point to the thing clutched in her hands.

"That belongs to me."

"Ah... this?"

She looked down at the damp, black hat.

"Yea. You think I can have it back?"
SavviG

Post by SavviG »

Time: 9:30 am, morning

♪♫♪♪♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪♫♪♪♪♫♫

The bin was smelly, transforming in the bin is a bad idea. Suddenly got tight but I got out. The corridors was empty, good, I can go get some food from the canteen.

Quickly, I transformed back to cat form, and ran towards the canteen.

The cheff came to greet me, "ah, there you are kitty! Here's a fresh tuna, well, cooked." He place the food on the floor and I quickly gobbled it up. (hmm, delicious!)
And sat about and let him pet me for a bit and when he went back to work, it was already 12.

I headed out through the kitchen back door. Time to escape, but something caught my eyes, another cat was sitting by the girls changing room. He was looking through the window. "Hmm, it's about time class is over... wait, am I thinking what I am thinking?"

Graciel leaped onto bins, boxes and hopped onto ledges to approach the cat. "Hi, you peeping tom. What'cha think you're doing here?" The cat got frightened and ran off. "Guess its a normal cat?" I looked around through the window and I see a girl forcing the window open. (WAH! no no no no wait! misustewwwah!)

Graciel fell off the window ledge . . . dots, polka dots....
Twitter SavviMaple
marcien

Post by marcien »

Time: Midday
PCs: Oriole, Jacket
================

"That belongs to me."

"Ah... this?" Oriole looked at the hat in her hands. He must be referring to this.

"Yea. You think I can have it back?"

"Sure!" she smiled and giggled.

She proceeded to quickly dry it, while the masked stray in a jacket stared at her hands with wide eyes. Which is not surprising, considering that from his point of view, it must have looked as though she was burning his hat.

A few seconds later, Oriole floated upwards to a comfortable level, where she went on to put the hat atop the head of the man about one-and-a-half heads taller than herself.
AYC

Post by AYC »

Time: 1:00 pm, Midday
Weather: Drizzles
================

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell how restless the class is getting at this point. The post-lunch "I want to go home already" feeling is acting up, and especially since it's so close to the end of the year, it's only natural that the students would be about ready to jump out of their seats two hours before the last bell.

Really. Mirto wants to roll her eyes.

It's not like anyone's doing anything. Her teachers have attempted to squeeze in some last minute review for the finals taking place in the next two days, but in the end, the dismal weather seems to to have put off what little motivation they had - thus, the students have been left to a free study period for the rest of the day. Which no one seems to be taking advantage of, besides her of course.

She pores over her textbooks as she neatly dodges stray paper airplanes and knocks back flying erasers with the end of her pencil. All the formulas and diagrams are already familiar friends to her - as are her messily scrawled notes on verb tenses and diction. Did she bring a book to read? She rifles through her bag - just a novel; none of her one thousand page encyclopedias, she's not that borderline insane to bring one with her to school. At least not daily.

Her hand plucks out the book, a fairly moderate-sized tome, two hundred or so pages. Looks like some sort of occult or fantasy novel. She flips the volume over to read the cover - and freezes.

How did this end up in her bag?

The Irony of Demon Overlords. She recognizes it from the library.

It's the book that had landed on her head after all. Her forehead throbs a bit as she fingers the spine of the book, eyes narrowing slightly. She can't really blame the book for her injury but...

Mirto huffs lightly in irritation - she knows exactly what to do.

She checks the due date.

Not overdue, thankfully.

And so Mirto reads.