show us your improvement~

Discuss and share your art work.
marcien

show us your improvement~

Post by marcien »

heh, we haven't seen each other's art in a looong time haven't we? so how about this: post one or a few old piece, produced around the time when you first joined nnk, and then some later ones produced when the old nnk was around, and finally, the latest pieces.

here i go. *hides under blanket*

(1) when first joined nnk

there was maple story fanart back then. quite a lot i think.

remember natsu and teijin na?

SHIT EVERYONE BETTER POST TOO. don't want to be the only one embarrassing myself

(2) during old nnk days

still, more maple art.

and who can forget this? was bloody fun

and then, there was that series of white on colour pictures, like in my avatar now.

(3) now

i draw lesser now. got more busy. ; ___ ;

same character as here

same character as here

there is a change in style. looking less japanese manga and more hongkong manhua

this was an assignment

and another assignment
Last edited by marcien on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1452/assignment23.jpg[/img]
Pictor

Re: show us your improvement~

Post by Pictor »

Man, I haven't properly drawn in a long time (definitely doodled though, you can't survive 8:30 AM physics without that sort of mental retreat).

Alright, let's see what we can dig up:

First Joined Old NNK:

Very, very first piece of fanart I ever did for old-timey NNK. It's not that funny in retrospect.

I think I did this for some NNK contest. Or not. Can't remember.

More NNK Fanart. No idea why this is so small. Might have been a signature or something.

First time trying lineless digital painting. We used to have a user floating around called EmoEgg. She was very good at digital painting. I tried to rip her off and failed.

I think this was the very first piece I ever tried doing on the Wacom tablet. Was still trying to grasp the gist of the wonky "look at screen while drawing on the side" thing.

I got a little better with the tablet.

This was pretty much my crown jewel back in the day. I'd look at it every day and think "Damn, I'm good." Kinda embarrassing now that I think about it.

During Old NNK:

And

Here

We

GOOOOOOOO

Some of you might remember this. I do. Painfully. Ugh... talk about your rises and falls.

Around here I started completely changing my art style.

Anyone who's played Disgaea 2 will know who this guy looks like. It's because I totally ripped off Takehito Harada.

Now that I think about it, I wasn't a very big fan of coloring my own work...

This has to do with an absolutely epic RP we had back in the old forums. It never really went anywhere, but it was awesome while it lasted. We should have another one sometime.

Here marks another "turn" in my artstyle. Things start to get FLCL up in this house. I didn't realize it until one of my buddies pointed it out though... I don't even like FLCL that much.

I think this was the first time I actually tried drawing "Pictor" as a character. The image above this one was actually produced later.

I started a thread in the old forums about a fantasy realm and its made-up inhabitants. This was one of those fabrications called the Nephli; a race of forest dwelling imp things.

I think the concept for this one was Pasonia's contribution. A golem-like race called Domatsu. They live in the mountains, and kinda reminded me of Gorons from The Legend of Zelda games.

I can't remember who came up with the concept for this one. A race of shape-shifting shadow creatures called the Umbra Res.

Finally this. The last piece of art I produced for old NNK. It's a bit of a flashback to my old cutesy-anime drawing style, so far it's probably considered my magnum opus, meaning, the only piece of art I didn't let my laziness condemn to oblivion. It's lined, colored AND shaded, what an accomplishment (for me)!

More Recent

As I said, I've kind fallen away from drawing, and even when I do it's simple doodles between class notes. Most of the stuff is on paper, and I can't really be arsed to scan em all right now. Here are some of the stuff I DID do digitally though:

Fanart for some in-development indie game. I think it's vaporware now.

One of a series of pieces I did emulating the Paper Mario games.

Here's another.

And another.

And another.

And one more.

I've started liking MSPaint a bit more than I should.

Drew this for a friend on his birthday about a year ago.

====

And that's a wrap. I think I've been getting lazier and lazier over the years.

It took a bit of work to try and get everything to fit within the forum borders. It looks like I'm still killing it a bit though. At least there's no horizontal scroll bar anymore.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

i'm ashamed to put anything up here...

anyway, i'll look into auto-resizing of images for the forums. i think phpbb should have something like that.
My Social and Gaming Network
Facebook: vincent.chlin
PSN: Akitsukii (US)
STEAM: chlin05@magix.com.sg
Remember to leave a message or comment to say who you are... I don't accept blind requests.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

image resizing works now!
Remember to leave a message or comment to say who you are... I don't accept blind requests.
SavviG

Post by SavviG »

I'm sort of feeling like Aki.

Anyways, I've only been sketching on paper these days (well at temp work only).
I feel some improvements, mostly hit and miss at drawing. ^^;

First image post on the first NNK forum.

Omg crappy bleach fanart XD

Later I tried again

I then started to play with photomanipulations and such ^^

Today, my drawings have erm . . .

ImageImageImageImage

Did a picture of the LIVEMOCHA/Pearson team I worked with.

took photo of two of the few last drawings I did.

Twitter SavviMaple
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I think I will be labeled as a big idiot if I wasn't going to put up some images here... afterall, I do run my own web comic :shock:

The first NNK image I did... of Natsu.

I like this particular panel of Haru and Natsu, it's probably one of my favourite panels because it shows the differences in their personalities.

This particular style of drawing is more "me" type.

One of the most violent image I drew for K'MA.

I liked this image because it shows my memories of meeting Martia and her classmate long time ago. First impressions count, Martia is really funny.

One of the last attempts at re-doing NNK... it failed and I have no regrets! :lol:

One of the better panels of K'MA when I was doing them in indian ink and watercolour. I like to paint in watercolour, but I was having difficulty in drawing the panels in 4-koma (because of the size, as it was based on an A5-format).

One of the most memorable images of all time. I was debating whether this image should be redrawn for additional oomph *ahem*... I mean modesty.

This was done for a small WoW related website, which I was attempting to do... but I took it down because I quit WoW.

Done in 2008, using markers and I stuck it up on a wall to teach Ethel animal names and shapes.

The most recent image I drew (2010). I drew it for my wife and her colleague who shares the same room at the office. And suddenly I got a ton of proposals from her colleagues to make books for their children (or for their story books).

I think that's about all... In terms of improvement, I think I stagnanted after K'MA. Perhaps I feel that I have attained a signature style (or two) which I will adopt in future works.
SavviG

Post by SavviG »

Dug out this old sketch from my photobucket while deleting images ^^
May colour it when I have the time to or when I feel like it.
Twitter SavviMaple
marcien

Post by marcien »

Pictor wrote:Image
Some of you might remember this. I do. Painfully. Ugh... talk about your rises and falls.
yea, so do i. i know that sort of pain too ~__~
Pictor wrote:Image
This has to do with an absolutely epic RP we had back in the old forums. It never really went anywhere, but it was awesome while it lasted. We should have another one sometime.
this.
Pictor wrote:Here marks another "turn" in my artstyle. Things start to get FLCL up in this house. I didn't realize it until one of my buddies pointed it out though... I don't even like FLCL that much.
more like ttgl-ish.
but flcl is cool!!

and come to think of it, i also remembered something along the lines of a cute sadako-chan from you? >.<

===============
SavviG wrote:ImageImageImageImage
these, are bloody cute.
SavviG wrote:Image
you drawings have improved, definitely.

===============
Vincent wrote:Image
I liked this image because it shows my memories of meeting Martia and her classmate long time ago. First impressions count, Martia is really funny.
; ___ ;
Vincent wrote:Image
One of the last attempts at re-doing NNK... it failed and I have no regrets! :lol:

One of the better panels of K'MA when I was doing them in indian ink and watercolour. I like to paint in watercolour, but I was having difficulty in drawing the panels in 4-koma (because of the size, as it was based on an A5-format).
yea, i remembered that i did really like your watercolours.

===============

i dug through my blog and my photobucket and my imageshack and compiled the posts together on my portfolio site.

http://martia.afterglow.nu/blog/
[img]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/1452/assignment23.jpg[/img]
AYC

Post by AYC »

I just realized I haven't done this yet. Ahahaha...

Art when I first joined NNK:

Art during NNK:
I don't think I improved at all, hm... orz

Nowadays' Art (not much here, since I'm on a laptop right now and can't really scan in my mountain of doodle papers; basically anything I've already uploaded on Photobucket):
I made this as a background for a game a classmate asked me to help him with.
A doodle I made in Programming/Animation class. Messing around with digital coloring, instead of writing some program in Visual Basic. Haha.
Another doodle.
Most recent pic, I just made it yesterday, actually. The lineart was scanned in and the digital, as per usual, is very cheap. OTL But all I use is mouse, so it can't be helped... And yes, I'm one of those few girls who play as male characters in games and stuff sometimes. >.>
Also... I made a flash animation for class:
http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/categ ... 00dFsgpjTS
It was actually-kind-of-supposed to be a flash game featuring the characters from Crimson Legends/Kisekino/MnK/HnK, but I ran out of time... and energy. Not to mention ActionScript did not work on our old computers in class, so we couldn't program in the end. ;x
The ending picture. The character is Lena.
Tsuki

Post by Tsuki »

It's a long long time ago. OTL I deleted my old stuff. maaaan

SavviG

Post by SavviG »

Oh this thread is bring up memories. I'm glad I joined NNK, I've improved so much from what I posted here the last time. :D
Twitter SavviMaple